collecte section Bourgogne

https://www.helloasso.com/associations/association-france-lyme/collectes/section-bourgogne

Tennessee high school student writes about what it feels like to have Lyme disease

Tennessee high school student writes about what it feels like to have Lyme disease

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper/tabid/100/view/frontpage/schoolid/3627/articleid/562456/newspaperid/3783/How_it_feels_to_be_in_my_shoes.aspx


Sandy talking to her friends, she's trying to hide her pain. - Gabrielle Watts

Do you know what it feels like to have Lyme disease and an irregular heartbeat, all while being a full-time high school student? I bet you’re wondering how a student can deal with those things at the same time; I ask myself that all the time – I’m surprised myself that I can do that.
If you’re speculating what is Lyme disease and irregular heartbeat, here’s the breakdown: Lyme disease is a bacterial infection spread through the bite of the blacklegged tick. It causes sleep disorders, vision problems, numbness, memory disorders, joint pain, muscle weakness and heart rhythm problems. Irregular heartbeat is a problem with the rate or rhythm of the heartbeat, also known as arrhythmia. It can cause the heart to beat too fast, too slow, or just the right speed. Irregular heartbeat can be caused by many problems such as coronary artery disease, electrolyte imbalance in your blood, changes of the heart muscle, and healing process after surgery. Arrhythmia can be harmless, but it can be serious and life- threatening, too.
The truth is, Lyme disease and an irregular heartbeat can be very tense and frustrating. I am a student that is concerned about my grades and future. I always want to do my best in school, but I feel like I can never get to that point, because my Lyme disease and irregular heartbeat get in the way. I have to miss school just for doctor appointments and long stays in the hospital. I’m not talking about one or two days; it can be whole weeks of school! Unfortunately, on the days I miss school, I’ll have tons of make-up work, which is very stressful. I always try my best to get it done, so I can catch-up with all the students in my class. Also, I don’t tell anybody what’s going with me because I don’t want them to feel bad or give me the “special treatment.” I just want to be treated as a normal student, even with my diseases.
The Lyme disease doesn’t really affect me that much anymore, but it has stricken me with long-term joint inflammation and heart rhythm problems. My irregular heartbeat is caused by electrolyte imbalance in my blood. However, it is really painful to deal with, but I know I can persevere and endure. Every day I come to school with a smile on my face to cover up my pain, just to hide what is going on. I do have my days where I can’t put up with the pain; Even then, I still push myself to be a regular student. Also, I can’t do the things I use to do, such as run and play sports. I have to ask the doctor for permission if I want to play any kind of sport.
But behind all of my pain and tears, I just want to be treated as a normal student and live a regular life.