collecte section Bourgogne

https://www.helloasso.com/associations/association-france-lyme/collectes/section-bourgogne

Tick Population Soars in the Upstate


Tick Population Soars in the Upstate



» 1 Comments | Post a Comment
Jennifer Gonzalez knows what can happen from just one small tick bite.
"I literally collapsed in the bathtub, I was like I need to go to the hospital," Gonzalez said.
Gonzalez caught Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
 "It was scary I thought I was going to die," Gonzalez said.
Doctors are warning you to be on the lookout for tick bites, and to do routine tick checks, especially along your hairline.
This year doctors expect to see more tick bites, which means you need to be vigilant.
"This year has been particularly bad, I think because we had a very mild winter," Dr. Stephen Jones with Parkside Pediatrics said.
Doctors say the most common disease in the carolinas is the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, so you need to know what to look out for.
"They can have fever, a rash that looks unusual," Dr. Jones said.
The problem the symptoms can mimic that of your typical flu or stomach virus.
Doctors say unlike the flu it wont get better without medication.
That makes it extremely important to know when to get help.
"If you have an illness that starts out mild and get worse..and your symptoms begin to get more severe I think its time to see a doctor," Dr. Jones said.
For Gonzalez it was all about trusting her instincts.
"Something just didn't feel right in my body," Gonzalez said.
She says the big lesson here just trust your gut.