collecte section Bourgogne

https://www.helloasso.com/associations/association-france-lyme/collectes/section-bourgogne

How Lyme Disease Made Me Stronger


How Lyme Disease Made Me Stronger

in the fluid that runs between the brain and the spinal column, it was a complete surprise to me as much as everyone. Lyme disease? Really?
As I saw how quickly my body was shutting down, I knew what was coming next: "We need to intubate you." The doctors had started an aggressive course of antibiotics the minute they found out. But it couldn't be quick enough to counteract the fact that my diaphragm did not want to breathe for me.
Later, they took the mouth tube out and did an actual tracheotomy. In the funny way the mind of a hospital patient works, while waiting for mine, I kept hearing construction sounds. Drill. Drill. Drill. Hammer, Hammer. Hammer. Pop. Pop. Pop. Had I suddenly arrived at a tracheotomy factory?
I love being CEO of The Good Men Project. I think that what we are doing has profound and important implications. We've built something valuable: a community of people who want to talk about men and goodness.
As a CEO, I also relish the chance to tell our vision to anyone who would listen. Of the hundreds of doctors and nurses I saw, many wanted to know what I did, and I told them. Even if it meant I had to mouth the words, use hand signals, write it down, spell it out, or call it up on my phone.
Everyone got it. Everyone had something to add to the conversation. One nurse: "You know, I think about this with my son. We all want him to grow into a 'fine upstanding young man.' That's the goal, right? But how? What does that mean anymore?" Another: "I work with a lot of men who are dying. And they are angry. Really angry. I wish there was a way to get through to them." A male doctor, obviously completely comfortable in his own skin, said simply: "I like being a man. That is good."
And a funny thing happened to our scalable business model when I got a tracheotomy. It got stronger. Teams of people who currently hadn't known each other before started working together. When people couldn't turn to me, they found some else to help figure it out.
All those connection points we've been building, all the networks we were putting in place, our team stepped in and made them stronger. Led by Editor-in-Chief Noah Brand and Senior Editor Joanna Schroeder, they didn't miss a beat.
The entire staff used this as opportunity to further learn how to scale.
It is two days after my tracheotomy, and my first day at a rehab where I need to go to regain muscle strength and learn to breathe on my own again. My own personal connections are being strengthened as well -- my two awesome sisters came to visit and we bonded like we were teens again.
My son and one of my daughters have now come to visit me. My daughter has brought in the new Taylor Swift song for me, and Shannon does the most amazing rendition of what's sure to be a next pop hit. My son and I are talking frankly and fearlessly about everything from his job to his girlfriend. He calls up The Good Men Project on the laptop to show me how well it is doing in my absence.
There is no place I'd rather be then right there in that moment. Not despite everything -- because of it. For those that don't know joys in tracheotomies, perhaps don't know where to look.